The Cabramatta Moon Festival, happening on September 23 (Sunday), celebrates the traditional mid-autumn harvest.
Pop Culture enthusiasts rejoice: AsiaPOP ComicCon Manila is coming back for another round of fun and games this July 27-29, 2018 at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City!
Now on its (May the) 4th year, the nerdiest pop culture event this side of the Orient will take it up to a level 11 with more celebrity guests and activities. Based on several reports and updates from the AsiaPOP ComicCon (APCC) official Facebook page, here are the tops things you would need to know before enjoying this one-of-a-kind event:
TV series and movie fans will get to see some of their favourite actors grace the stage at the Con. Continuing the trend of bringing in top stars like last year’s guests Millie Bobbie Brown and Paul Bettany, we will see Finn Jones come over to APCC Manila 2018. Jones is a British actor well known for playing Danny Rand/Iron Fist in Marvel’s Iron Fist and Ser Loras Tyrell in Game of Thrones.
Unfortunately, Jones’ fellow Iron Fist and Thrones actor, Jessica Henwick, pulled out of attending AsiaPOP ComicCon “due to unforseen circumstances”. The English star, also known for her cameo in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens, sent out a message of disappointment for not being able to attend the event and thanked her Filipino fans for their support.
Promising a much bigger ensemble of visiting comic book artists, fans will get to see some of the most influential creators in the industry. Here are the big wigs behind some of your favorite comic book characters coming over for the Con:
- Brian Muir has been working in the film industry for over 40 years as a sculptor. Muir has crafted some of his best works for the Star Wars franchise, including his infamous work on Darth Vader.
- Simone Legno, the famed toy artist of Tokidoki, is coming back to showcase his crazy-cool art style. Expect him to showcase some of his best works!
- Alex Sinclair is a decorated veteran artist with DC Comics, having a hand in colouring for books involving Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Justice League, and more. He is now a freelancer with more time to do the projects he loves.
- Lan Medina is the first Filipino to win the Eisner Award for his work Fables from Vertigo-DC Comics. He has also worked on Marvel characters Cable and Deadpool, Venom, Carnage, Silver Surfer, and the Punisher.
- Mike McKone first published work for DC’s Justice League of America nd Marvel’s Punisher series. He is currently working on the Avengers graphic novel, Endless Wartime.
- Phil Noto is a famed artist from the Marvel family. His work with Gerry Duggan on The Infinite Horizon earned him an Eisner award nomination for Best New Series. He is also a skilled animator: he was a clean-up artist for Disney’s animated works The Lion King, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear.
- Whilce Portacio is a Filipino American comic book artist and writer. Part of the Tokidoki duo with Legno, Portacio’s book credits include Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, Punisher, Wetworks, and Spawn.
Its a CAGE Match!
The region’s biggest cosplay competition is set to open again for another round of costumed comeuppance! APCC Manila presents the Cosplay Authority Global Challenge, aka The CAGE. This version of the contest was sponsored by Singer Philippines, with cash and other prizes amounting to around $18,000! And to make things even more interesting, the organizers revealed two major cosplayers who will serve as judges in the competition!
Canvas Cosplay, real name Philip Odango, is a Filipino American theatre producer and author well-loved for his theatre productions and costume work. His cosplay as the demi-god Maui from Disney’s Moana has been described by Disney’s head of animation as “the real Maui.” The award winning costume designer is known for his master level craftsmanship and attention to detail. He will provide his keen eye and experience as a judge on the Crown Championships of Cosplay in Chicago for the CAGE.
Leon Chiro is an award-winning cosplayer from Italy. He currently works as the official cosplayer for Rakan, a champion from the video game League of Legends. Other credits in his resume include Ubisoft games (Assassin’s Creed, Watch Dogs), Square Enix (Galdiolus in Final Fantasy XV), and Capcom for his look as Dante. In 2016, he was officially recognized as the Italian face of Assassin’s Creed! A guest at over 80 events worldwide, he will make his first appearance in Manila through AsiaPOP ComicCon.
The Rise of POP
There will be more exciting games and activities in store for guests at AsiaPOP ComicCon 2018, happening on July 27-29, 2018 (Friday to Sunday), at the SMX Convention Center at the SM Mall of Asia Arena. APCC counts many industry leaders as its event partners: Marvel, Netflix, and other major Hollywood studios are expected to make a lot of noise at the convention’s main hall!
So come one, and come all! Celebrate your love for all things comic and POP at the AsiaPOP ComicCon 2018! For more information about event updates, invited celebrities, and activities, tune in via their website (https://asiapopcomicon.com/manila/) or check their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/apccmanila/)
Tickets for this very special event are now available via the SM tickets website (use https://smtickets.com/) and at all SM Ticket outlets. All tickets give access to stage activities, performances, and the main hall.The ticketing prices are as follows:
- 650 PHP for a one-day pass
- 950 PHP for a two-day pass
- 1,150 PHP for a three-day pass
- This event is FREE for children aged 5 years and bellow for all days